The Van Gogh tour in the Netherlands or abroad
During his life Van Gogh mainly lived in The Netherlands, Belgium and France and for a short while he worked in England. Of the 37 years that he lived, only 12 years were as a painter, but in this short period Van Gogh produced more than 200 paintings and over 400 drawings. Fortunately, most of the work has been kept by the family and was handed over to the Dutch state in 1962. This led to the foundation of the Van Gogh Museum, which opened its doors on June 2, 1973. In Europe, his work can be admired at the following locations:
- Van Gogh Museum, Amsterdam
- Museum Boijmans Van Beuningen, Rotterdam
- Noordbrabants Museum, ‘s-Hertogenbosch
Besides the museums, you also have the opportunity to visit locations in The Netherlands where Van Gogh has lived and worked, such as:
- Van Gogh House Drenthe (1883) => Established in New Amsterdam it is the only house in The Netherlands, which is accessible to the public, where you can see how Vincent van Gogh has lived and worked. Through a guided tour they will tell you a few things about his life and the history of this unique property that has been restored and furnished as it was in 1883.
- Van Gogh Village Brabant (1883 – 1885) => At this location in Nuenen you will learn more about the human side of Van Gogh and of the period in which he became the famous painter. Outside there are as many as 23 locations that remind of Van Gogh, of which 14 are painted or sketched by him.
A biketrail allows you to see it all on a bike. This year the trail has been granted the title of “the European cycle route of the year”. A part of the route is special, due to the thousand sparkling rhinestones incorporated into the tarmac, as fragments of Van Gogh’s painting “The Starry Night”. During the day they take the light and give it back in the evening. The total length of the biketrial is 335 km and it is divided into five stages. There is also a larger version, from Nuenen through Antwerp and Brussels, to Paris. In total 900 km of trail that can be done over a period of 12 days. In 1885, Van Gogh decided to move to Antwerp at the Long Beeldekenstraat. The city created the Van Gogh-route, so you can visit all the major sites in a relaxed manner. This also applies to Brussels where he lived twice. In 1886, Van Gogh left Belgium to live with his brother Theo in Paris at the Rue Lepic 54, Montmartre. Once again you will be able to follow the Van Gogh-route and visit all the major sites. Eventually Van Gogh moved in 1888 to the South of France at Arles in the Camargue. He lived in the yellow house on the Place Lamartre. During this period Vincent was very productive and worked near Arles, where he made numerous paintings and drawings. Here again, you can find the Van Gogh-route as in the other cities. Eventually Van Gogh died on July 30, 1890 at Auvers-sur-Oise, just north of Paris.
The Bed & Breakfast Gift Card can be used everywhere, because we are represented in The Netherlands, Belgium and France. If you want to visit several places at once, we can arrange transportation for you in The Netherlands and abroad. This could be a bike, car, taxi, bus or private airplane. This last option can be very interesting, if you want to visit several cities in Europe in a short time. It allows you to avoid the International airports and to land at the local airports close to your chosen destination. Therefore you will lose less time and enjoy more of your precious vacation. Combinations with other attractions such as Kinderdijk , Giethoorn , etc. are also possible. For a quote please state your wishes by e- mail.